Its time for the September Open Meeting of the Alamance Makers Guild! Come out to STEAM Junction in Downtown Burlington for our free, family-friendly, and fun monthly meeting!
Our special guest speaker for September is Burlington native Charles Roberson. Charles is the founder of the Burlington Chess Club and can often be found teaching and playing at the Company Shops Market. Charles is a programmer by trade and has developed software for giants of the computer industry including Intel, but his hobby has been developing programs for Chess (and for other games like Football). By figuring out how to teach a computer to play chess Charles has figured out new and better ways to teach human beings to play chess!
Charles' efforts have paid off for some of his students who have been awarded full-ride college scholarships for playing Chess. One of Charles' Chess programs was recognized as the number 7 best Chess Program in the world!
You don't have to play Chess (or like Chess) to enjoy this meeting! We won't get bogged down in theory or computer code (although Charles will be glad to discuss this with super interested folks 1:1) Charles has a different way of looking at things than you might expect and is going to be talking about his adventures going to international Computer Chess Championships, and about what he's learned about teaching through learning more about programming computers.
You'll also get a chance to learn about the Burlington Chess Club, and their hopes and plans to establish a Burlington Chess Center. Like the Makers Guild Charles wants to see Burlington recognized for its amazing people and all of the cool new things going on here.
Also on the agenda for September:
* Show-N-Tell: What are YOU working on? Bring YOUR projects and News for Show-N-Tell. Can be projects that are finished, new ideas, or anything in between. Projects don't need to be related to the topic of tonight's meeting! Ask questions, get help, show off. All ideas are equal and important! As always we can show photos or video for projects that aren't practical to bring in. (let us know as soon as you arrive if you need to use the projector or internet so we can get you set up)
* Membership Drive for the Alamance Makers Guild. Join the Guild at our meetings or online! Your $3/month helps fund the expenses of the guild, goes towards the expenses of Maker Faire Burlington, and keeps our meetings free and open to the public (to help inspire makers of all kinds no matter what their own situation or budget)
* Maker Updates
- Guild News
- STEAM Junction Updates
- Upcoming meetings and events
* New Interest Groups Announced!
- AMG Quad-copter and Aerial Photography/Videography Interest Group
- AMG 3D Printing and Modeling Interest Group
* Become a Volunteer with the Alamance Makers Guild. We need YOUR time, talents, and energy to continue growing and doing awesome things around the Maker Movement right here in Alamance County!
As always Alamance Makers Guild Open Meetings are free and open to everyone (members and non-members). We are fun and family friendly. Teens and accompanied older children are always welcome. Bring a friend!
Please share this event with others! We grow by word of mouth.
While you are in downtown Burlington please support local businesses! Have dinner, grab a coffee, check out one of the local stores, make use of our Library, get some ice cream! Get in the Mix and support small and local businesses!
Hope to see as many of you as possible this September----